HOWTO PEAP + FreeRadius + XP Client

George KNIGHT georgeknight at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 22:45:28 CEST 2008

Hello Marco,
I really appreciate your help. The link you gave is way more helpful then
most other stuff on the net.

One thing that still not clear to me is which certificates I have to place
to the Windows? There are so much information about certificates but no one
clearly says which certificate goes where at the server and the XP client.

After I installed the FreeRadius 2.0.2 on my SuSE SLES box, under the
/etc/raddb/certs folder, there are following certificates;

server.crt - server.key - server.pem - server.cnf - server.csr - server.p12.

Can I test my environment by using these certificates? I just don't know how
to use the certificates. Last week I was messing around the openssl to
create certificates but ended up mixing everything. That's why I reinstalled
the whole OS, reinstalled the freeradius cleanly again. Before I go ahead
and mess around again, I just want to have the instructions.

One more thing, I won't be using any LDAP or AD in a Windows environment. I
just want my clients to be authenticated against freeradius AAA based on
PEAP.

Thank you.