MSCHAP module returns OK, authentication fails..

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 26 18:03:18 CEST 2008

James Yale wrote:
> Perhaps someone can help, I'm trying to setup FreeRADIUS as a
> cheaper/more flexible alternative to buying a Win2k3 Enterprise
> licence to do PEAP/MSCHAP for wireless clients but seem to be having a
> problem after the MSCHAP module is run.

  See http://deployingradius.com for howto's on getting EAP configured
in a few simple steps.

> I'm using a MacOS as a test client, which connects to the wireless
> network, prompts about an invalid certificate chain for the SSL cert
> (suggesting that TLS is working) and then prompts for credentials. The
> credentials seem to get to radiusd okay, the identity is referenced in
> the debug logs and the authentication (via ntlm_auth) seems to work
> okay aswell, returning 0 and reporting success, however after this
> point everything seems to stop. The MacOS client reports that
> authentication has failed at this point.

  Because it doesn't like the server certificate.  Install the server
certificate (or CA.der) on the MAC client.  It should then work.

> All of my tests produce the same result, with the MSCHAP module
> returning success and then (seemingly) nothing happening. I've also
> tested with eapol from wpa_supplicant, which produces the same effect.

  This is in the FAQ and in the comments in raddb/eap.conf.  The simple
summary is that the client doesn't like the server, and has chosen to
stop talking to it.

  In this case, it's because the invalid certificate error you're seeing.