Fwd: MSCHAP module returns OK, authentication fails.. (SOLVED)

James Yale jim at thebiggame.org
Sat Aug 30 16:09:34 CEST 2008

2008/8/29 James Yale <jim at thebiggame.org>:
> 2008/8/28  <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk>:
>> hi,
>>
>> whats wrong with that debug? looked fine here - that should
>> end with a happy connection. ntlm_auth got the correct
>> response.
>>
>> alan
>
> The problem is that when that log ends the WPA supplicant gets:
>
> -- EAP-MSCHAPV2: Invalid authenticator response in success request
>
> And the authentication fails. The full logs of the failure are at:
>
> http://jim.geezas.com/stuff/radius-debugging/eapol-ntlmuser-failure.log
> for the supplicant and:
>
> http://jim.geezas.com/stuff/radius-debugging/radius-ntlmuser-failure.log
> for radiusd.
>
> I'm going to try afew different distributions/versions of FreeRadius
> and Samba, perhaps compile from source - presumably this configuration
> is fairly common and working elsewhere, so it should work with some
> combination (if I find one I'll post it up).
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

To update this, Alan DeKok was right about the issue being with Samba,
but rather than using an newer version of Samba an older version was
required. I compiled Samba 3.0.32 from source and EAP/MSCHAP
authentication now works perfectly on FC9 with the packaged version of
FreeRadius 2.0.5.

Thanks to both Alans for the help :)

James