Freeradius 2.1.1 - locked processes

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Dec 1 08:07:32 CET 2008

George Chelidze wrote:ello,

> I have recently install freeradius 2.1.1 on our old RHEL (Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2), libc-2.3.4) server
> which already runs multiple radiator instances. The last time I started
> freeradius was Friday. Since then there are 66 freeradius processes,
> among them 65 are locked:

  Something weird is going on.  The back trace shows localtime_r (a C
library function) calling a FreeRADIUS library function.  That's not
correct.

> I have googled the issue and investigated the gdb backtrace, however the
> only idea I have right now is to upgrade a system to more recent one

  That would be my suggestion.

  Given the *rest* of the GDB back trace, I think the call to
localtime_r is real, and the call to the FreeRADIUS library function
isn't.  The conclusion is that there's something broken in the RHEL4
localtime_r function.

>(I
> know, running outdated system is stupid idea, however why we still run
> it is a long story). As it's not an easy task, I'd like to be sure that
> the reason is old libraries or stuff like that. I have attached a gdb
> backtrace, ldd output, freeradius configuration. I am ready to debug a
> system further and provide more information, if this isn't enough. Any
> help is appreciated.

  Honestly, I wouldn't try to debug it.  No one else is reporting
similar issues in FreeRADIUS, and debugging RHEL will be an exercise in
frustration.