Huntgroup replies using mysql

Adrian adrian at dsl4u.ca
Mon Dec 1 18:13:33 CET 2008

Hello John/All

I'm moving from free-radius 1.1.7 to 2.1.1.  In the old setup I was using
the huntgroup file to tag a NAS and based on the IP address of that NAS
assign it a huntgroup.  Then, in the users file, I would send the huntgroup
particular attributes.

The Users file would look like this:

DEFAULT              Huntgroup-Name == "Test_Group"

                                Authentication-Type = Accept, (*** this line
no longer works in 2.1.1. It errors out with Invalid Octet string "Accept"
for attribute name "Authentication-Type")

                                Tunnel-Medium-Type = IP,

                                Tunnel-Type = L2TP,

                                etc..

In Freeradius 2.1.1 I've implemented the huntgroup table in the backend
which works well (using mysql and the guide provided below by John.) I need
to know how can I send the attributes above to the NAS based on the sql
huntgroup match which I get back from the SQL query?  I've tried to add a
group in the radgroupreply table that sends back all necessary attributes
however that did not work as the huntgroup was not being checked against the
radgroupreply table.

I can currently achieve what I need by enabling the users file (with the
DEFAULT Entries in it) to be read in the preprocess module however I was
hoping to keep all this in mysql.

Running radiusd -X I can see that the huntgroup is identified correctly and
I get a ++ [request] returns ok from it however I'm not sure how to send it
the above attributes from sql instead of the users flatfile.

Any help is appreciated,

Adrian