Building & Installing on Red Hat Systems (Was: Make error - Solved)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 16:15:47 CET 2008

J Santos wrote:
> Thank you Dennis,
>
> It is a very, very useful document.
>
> Checking both distros RHEL and CentOS there are only old packages available
> (version 1.1.3) and only i386.
>
> I have a rpm already built but  it is not properly working.
>
> Based on what you described in the doc I better install the old version and
> then
>

>  yum upgrade freeradius
>  * base: mirror.voxitas.com
>  * updates: ftp.telus.net
>  * addons: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
>  * extras: yum.singlehop.com
> Setting up Upgrade Process
> Could not find update match for freeradius
> No Packages marked for Update
>
> As you can see there is no update available.
>
> So I am in the worst situation and have no choice other that rpmbuild. I am
> on CentOS 64 and I need Mysql.
>
> The link you have provided in the doc is for fedora only.
>
> Could you please inform from where I can get the spec file for CentOS 64
> with MySql ?

Well, the first test of the documentation has apparently failed ;-) I'll
update it to make it clearer.

You need to build the Fedora version on your CentOS system.

You need to take the SRPM (which contains the the spec file) from Fedora
(because it's current) and install it on your CentOS system, then
perform a rpmbuild. What this is doing is building the current version
locally, but observing all the requirements of the local target system.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>