Issue with PAP/LDAP authentication after upgrade FR 2.0.5 to FR 2.1.1

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 02:47:03 CET 2008

John Dennis wrote:
> Thibault Le Meur wrote:
>> I've searched and finally found out what occured. I'm using Fedora
>> Core 9 and after the FR package update here is what occured: a lot of
>> files including module files from the new RPM package were added as
>> /etc/raddb/modules/<modulename>.rpmnew
>> So at startup here is what is loaded:
>> including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/pap.rpmnew
>> including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/pap
>>
>> Most of my setup was working because I use specific instance of the
>> modules such as "ldap-mycompany" and not the default "ldap" name.
>> However, I use the std name for the pap module... I may change this
>> in the future to avoid such issues after upgrade.
>>
>> I don't know if I should report this to the package maintainer or not.
>> What do you think ?
>
> I'm here :-)
>
> The files under /etc/raddb/modules are configuration files.
> Configuration files by definition are available for editing. It is
> usually considered bad practice for rpm during an upgrade to overwrite
> user modified configuration files. If rpm thinks a configuration file
> has been modified instead of overwriting the configuration file with
> the version from the new package it instead lays a new copy of that
> file down with the .rpmnew extension. It's your job as a system
> administrator to pay attention to the presence of .rpmnew files,
> during installation it will warn you such files were created which is
> your signal to investigate. If you miss the warnings you should still
> periodically check under /etc for the presence of .rpmnew files and
> .rpmsave by the same token.
>
> Now having said that, it's entirely possible there is a packaging
> problem and the .rpmnew files should not have been created, I'll go
> off and take a look at that issue. My recollection is that rpm is
> smart enough to detect the case where the old version of a config file
> differs from the new version but the old version was not locally
> edited. I believe this is case you're describing. In this instance rpm
> should replace the config files and not generate a .rpmnew. Did you
> edit the pap config file in any manner?

I've looked at the packaging with respect to how the .rpmnew files are
being handled and I believe everything is correct. What is probably
missing is documentation on this so I've updated the FreeRADIUS Red Hat
FAQ (http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ) and added a section
describing what happens to configuration files during a RPM upgrade
(http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ#How_are_configuration_files_handled_during_an_RPM_upgrade.3F)

FWIW, I also updated the FAQ to cover the some of the cases which
confused a recent user who was attemping to build the RPM's locally on
RHEL5.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>