Programatically provision users to server.

Matthew Carriere matthew.carriere at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 06:14:51 CET 2008

Yes I do plan on using a RoR application to make the changes to the MySQL
database.
So I think this is coming together. However, the username and password...
where is the user responsible for using those credentials.

Would a user connect to my WiFi network, then authenticate against the
RADIUS server using credentials obtained through a Ruby on Rails
application?

Here's the workflow I am thinking to build this:

1. User connects to WiFi network.
2. User is directed to a Ruby on Rails application.
3. Application authorizes user to connect, creates credentials
and propagates them to FreeRadius.
4. Application gives credentials to user.
5. User enters credentials (where?)

I need hotspot functionality so I am almost there in terms of everything I
need to build. Are these points rational? Also, where are the credentials
entered in #5? Wouldn't I just need to deliver an IP or something to that
machine at that point?

Thanks

Matthew.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM, <tnt at kalik.net> wrote:

> >So I just want to make sure I am headed down the right path. I have a WLAN
> >controller that will be configured to use RADIUS for authentication.
> >Currently it (WLAN) uses its own user accounts on the controller. Does
> this
> >mean that the WLAN will deliver an IP after the RADIUS has authenticated
> the
> >user?
>
> Yes.
>
> >How does a user authenticate to the RADIUS server?
>
> With username and password. Or a certificate.
>
> >Basically I need to automate the current manual task of creating the user
> >accounts on the WLAN.
> >

> You said you were going to make a Ruby application that will handle that.
>
> Ivan Kalik
> Kalik Informatika ISP
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See