MAC Auth (new problem)

Leigh Martell leigh.martell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 04:19:57 CET 2008

Does your WISP run off this same instance of FreeRadius or just using a
common database?

To elaborate on the dilemma; if you configure your freeradius to check the
attribute column for the MAC address how would you find the users password
since that is associated with the real username not the users
attribute...see the issue? By no means am I saying this is impossible but I
am saying it would be messy/complex to do such a thing, as you would have to
set the authenticate query to grab the mac address to return a real user
name to retrieve the remainder of the "user" attributes.

My suggestion is to not hack a way for it to work but figure out a clean way
to associate MAC addresses with a useraccount. You may be able to do this by
modifying the DB schema and using ID's as pointers(not fun or efficient) but
this is obviously not an option for you, so that would than bring you back
to using unlang(can't really help you here) or a rlm_perl script(both of
these methods "should" work but with more overhead than I would feel
comfortable with)

Listen to Ivan...he is alot smarter than me just not always as polite :-p
but always makes very good points. The last thing I have to say is that the
immediately cheapier way is not always the best way; invest in doing things
right and find an appropriate middle ground. Anyways I hope we have helped
point you in somewhat of the right direction...you have alot of late nights
ahead of you so take care.

--
Leigh