Duplicate IPs for Radius Clients with different secrets - allow any client IP?

Eric Geier me at egeier.com
Wed Dec 17 21:59:01 CET 2008

Thanks for the info, Anders.

Yes, I'm considering security issues. Just would be really great if I could
make everything work as I want...with still being secure.

> Why bother doing the SQL stuff, if you're going to let anyone use your
service anyway?
The way I thought it up, it would allow any IP to TRY to run its request to
the server...whereas if real client IPs are given, requests are denied
before the sever does any work if the client IP isn't on the list.

Say I did open up to any IP, the AP's MAC must match one from my list;
moreover the hacker must have the shared secret. Plus if I can add to the
example SQL statement, I would add to the WHERE clause "and domain =(domain
pulled from what's after the username's @ sign). Then the hacker must know a
username and domain that matches an acceptable AP, the user's password, that
acceptable AP's MAC address, and then finally the shared secret for the AP.

What could a hacker do to the server if he can't even get passed returning a
correct shared secret? cause DoS attacks? If so, I can try to find something
that blocks requests from originating IPs for 5mins after so many requests.
What do you think?

Thanks for your input, Eric