Status counters

Anders Holm anders.holm at sysadmin.ie
Fri Dec 19 13:05:21 CET 2008

Hi folks.

Looking a tad at the counters and how they get incremented I see the
following:

Sending Access-Accept of id 20 to 127.0.0.1 port 32772
        FreeRADIUS-Total-Access-Requests = 0
        FreeRADIUS-Total-Access-Accepts = 36
        FreeRADIUS-Total-Access-Rejects = 0
        FreeRADIUS-Total-Access-Challenges = 0
        FreeRADIUS-Total-Auth-Responses = 36

This is on a test server, which currently is only getting requests for
status. Shouldn't the Access-Requests also be incremented? I mean, if the
Access-Accept is incremented, we must have had a request to being with.

Also, using these counters for monitoring, it would be nice to see deltas
from the previous Status request. Though, if I would go ahead and clear the
counters (haven't even checked if it is possible tbh) I might have requests
arriving between my last Status request packet and my clearing the counter,
meaning my metrics would be incorrect. Would it be trivial to add some form
of delta-since-last-status-request, or is it preferred to keep that in an
external script?

Just trying to figure out which would be the best route, and what others
think of the idea. Might be useful for others here, so ...

//anders