error after updating to freeradius 2.0.1

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Feb 11 21:41:06 CET 2008

Joep Ruiter wrote:
> ERROR: Failed to open socket:
> /etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[182]: Error binding to port for 0.0.0.0 port
> 1812

  This is likely due to the system having IPv6 support.  Version 2.0
adds IPv6, and there are issues with binding to IPv4 and IPv6 sockets.

> All 1.1.x versions have run smoothly on my Ubuntu server, this is the first
> time I get this problem.
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

  Check that nothing is listening on port 1812, even for IPv6.

  Also try posting the full debug log.  Maybe there's another "listen"
section which is conflicting with the 0.0.0.0:1812.