eap authentication and cpu utilization

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 13 15:30:37 CET 2008

Norbert Wegener wrote:
> Simple authentication with login/password can be handled in  large
> numbers with a recent cpu and freeradius.
> .
> EAP authentication on the other hand requires a great amount of cpu
> processing.

  It's all in the SSL rsa keying setup.

> Therefore I have  a simple(?) question:
> Did someone already calcute the theoretically maximum number of eap
> authentications per second, that a recent x86 cpu is able to handle?

$ openssl speed

  Or

$ openssl speed rsa

http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/#benchmark-speed

  For 2048 bit rsa keys, the web page gives 77 signs/s for a 2GHz Intel
Core 2.  My 1GHz laptop gives around 20/s.

  That number becomes the limiting factor for any TLS-based EAP method.
 It doesn't matter if the rest of the server can handle 5k PAP
requests/s.  If it can only do 77 rsa signings/s, that is the maximum
number of EAP-TLS/TTLS/PEAP sessions that it can do.