virtual servers

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Feb 14 14:00:07 CET 2008

Hi,

just switching from a 1.1.7 with an incredibly sophisticated policy engine to
a virtual-server based, simple 2.0 setup here.
From what I see so far, virtual servers really rock. There's just one use case
not entirely clear to me:

I receive requests from a proxy who in turn has multiple clients behind. I
want to decide stuff based on who *that other server's* clients are. It works
today by tagging packets on that proxy with a VSA, upon which the home server
decides the applicable policy.

If I want to get that done with 2.0, I'm unsure how to proceed. If I get a
tagged packet from the proxy and assign this proxy's IP address to a virtual
server, I could process its VSAs in that server. But then I would ideally
like to re-distribute the packets after that to their own virtual servers.
Kind of like: in authorize, find out about the VSA, then set a magic
variable "Handoff-to-Virtual-Server := someserver", and then the packet gets
handed to that other virtual server automatically.

Does that make any sense? How do I do that?

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg