eap authentication and cpu utilization

Sebastian Heil s3b0 at gmx.de
Thu Feb 14 15:18:25 CET 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:04:25 +0100
> Von: Norbert Wegener <norbert.wegener at siemens.com>
> Betreff: Re: eap authentication and cpu utilization

> Alan DeKok wrote:
> > ..
> > $ openssl speed
> >
> >   Or
> >
> > $ openssl speed rsa
> >
> > http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/#benchmark-speed
> >
> >   For 2048 bit rsa keys, the web page gives 77 signs/s for a 2GHz Intel
> > Core 2.  My 1GHz laptop gives around 20/s.
> >
> >   That number becomes the limiting factor for any TLS-based EAP method.
> >  It doesn't matter if the rest of the server can handle 5k PAP
> > requests/s.  If it can only do 77 rsa signings/s, that is the maximum
> > number of EAP-TLS/TTLS/PEAP sessions that it can do.
> >
> Fine, that openssl switch has been new to me.
> Do you also have experience in how many percent of that theoretic value
> can be reached in practise with a database backend on the same machine
> where beside freeradius and the database nothing else is running?
>
> Norbert Wegener
>
> >   Alan DeKok.
> > -

I don't know if it is helpful:

As i mentioned in the other mailing-thread, i tried some kind of stress-test with freeradius and eap-tls.

the freeradius-server is running on a virtual-machine (vmware-workstation) and the virtual suse linux server has about 300 mb ram and one cpu-core (intel xeon with 2.4 ghz (i think :-) ).

i also installed a mysql-database and tried some tests with 4 simultaneous scripts on another server, that did eap-tls authentication requests.

with my configuration, the freeradius-server can handle about 300 to 400 eap-tls-authentication-request per minute. the cpu load is about 30 - 35 %.

Maybe this is helpful for you. :-)

Sebastian
--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.web.de/de/entertainment/games/free