eap authentication and cpu utilization

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Feb 18 10:54:25 CET 2008

Norbert Wegener wrote:
> Just for information:
> I made some tests on different machines. Around 60% of the theoretical
> maximum was the best value I got.
> The behaviour was heavy influenced by the parameters in the "thread
> pool" section and num_sql_socks, as I have a database backend.

  Yes.  The interaction effects are strong.  If there are fewer SQL
sockets than threads, then the threads will block waiting for an SQL
socket to become ready.  At that point, performance drops significantly.

  I would be curious to know how many PAP authentications/s you can do
with that database back-end.  Knowing the 3 numbers will help scope
interaction effects.

  e.g. OpenSSL says: S   rsa/a
  PAP says: P  requests/s
  EAP testing says: E requests/s