Changing Reply-Message for expired Password

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Feb 24 19:53:27 CET 2008

Tim White wrote:
> $ freeradius -v
> freeradius: FreeRADIUS Version 1.1.6, for host i486-pc-linux-gnu, built
> on Jun  8 2007 at 17:17:46
>
> I'm using Freeradius, with MySQL (rlm_sql) as the backend for Coova
> Chilli (and it's JSON interface). Unfortunately, the reply-message when
> the password is expired, contains a newline at the end, which breaks
> chilli (due to the newline being in the JSON object, which breaks).
> Short of recompiling Freeradius with the newlines removed, is there an
> easier way to change this reply-message?

Assuming you mean a radius Reply-Message attribute in the Access-Accept
or Access-Reject, there are two possibilities:

  1. You have put the newline in yourself, either in files
(/etc/raddb/users) or the SQL/LDAP/other lookup
  2. It's in their accidentally

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you forgot the closing " in
/etc/raddb/users i.e. you have:

DEFAULT
	Reply-Message = "there will be a newline here

As advised in the docs and on this mailing list daily, run the server in
debug mode (-X) to see where the newline is actually coming from.