Response packets with attributes

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Fri Feb 29 12:58:38 CET 2008

>greetings,
>i am very close to my deadline and stil can't figure out
>how to retrieve some user specific informations from freeRadius.
>
>for example: how to construct a request packet to freeRadius
>that would respond me with a packet in which would be
>user status (active, expired, disabled, online)?
>
>i really searched through tons of references but couldnt
>find anything remotely close,
>
>thank you for your support,
>David

No wonder. This is not radius, it's administration.

1. active, expired, disabled - you would normally place a user in a group
of such accounts. If you need this information in radius reply you can
configure a group specific Reply-Message (if you use Expiration
attribute instead of a group for expired accounts, the message is
generated by default). But you would normally query the database to see
which group is user in rather than to try a login.

2. online - a) radwho. It will list all the users that radius "thinks"
are online. But you should query NAS if user is online. Radius
information is bit less reliable.

2. online - b) radius.log. Configure Simultaneous-Use and if user is
online a message will be generated in the log (and request will be
rejected). Again, attempting login with user details is a strange way of
checking user status. You would normally use such information from the
logs if user complains about trouble connecting.

I hope this will be of some use to you.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP