query

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Jan 3 13:01:32 CET 2008

liran tal wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> On Jan 3, 2008 11:57 AM, Mark J Elkins <mje at posix.co.za
> <mailto:mje at posix.co.za>> wrote:
>
>     Radius may have been installed with  dialupadmin  - which may fit your
>     requirements.  http://www.freeradius.org/dialupadmin.html
>     (I don't use it myself - already had something - and Gentoo on my
>     side
>     has it masked)
>

> Out of curiosity, what are you using for management if not dailup-admin?

Totally home grown - was MySQL and shell scripts, now LAMP. When we
started (in 1992) - we used 'icradius' - which we hacked to work for
us.. Freeradius is *so* much more configurable.

The Database is the core - processes/apps like authentication via
freeradius, MTA via exim - etc all hang on to the DB.
Thoughts were the DB can become clustered and services can be replicated
on to new hardware as existing hardware becomes too expensive to simply
upgrade/replace.. however hardware seems to have kept up.

With Radius - as many customers move to 'always on' access such as ADSL
- actual numbers of radius authentication queries does not seem to be
climbing so much - rather decreasing.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE