EAP Notification

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 14:30:55 CET 2008

Josh Howlett wrote:
> That's certainly a feature of some Cisco WAPs.
>
> If anyone knows of a supplicant that does anything *useful* with
> EAP-Notification (like, you know, notify the user) then that would be
> interesting to hear :-)

wpa_supplicant supports it; changelog says it was added back in May 2005

	* display EAP Notification messages to user through control interface
	  with "CTRL-EVENT-EAP-NOTIFICATION" prefix

Whether  the GUIs that sit on top of it take notice is another matter.

windows XP supplicant displays the Reply-Message attribute in one of
those annoying yellow popup bubbles, but only for straight CHAP ?!

Mac OSX logs the notifications in the system log... Though given that
90% of mac users probably don't know what a terminal window is... not
that much use !

It'd be interesting to see if there was any way to get hooks into the
eapol client, then you could transfer the EAP notifications over into
the growl Notification framework. Give you a neat mechanism to berate
your Mac users for AUP transgressions :)

---
Alan,
Any chance the rlm_eap failure codes/verbose error messages could be
made available as attributes in the request list ?

---
Thanks,
Arran