FreeBSD port for 2.0.0 (was: Version 2.0.0 has been released)

David Wood david at wood2.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 17:45:10 CET 2008

Hi all,

In message <478637D5.4030206 at netstumbler.com>, Mother
<mother at netstumbler.com> writes
>Alan T DeKok wrote:
>> January 10, 2007 - Version 2.0.0 has been released.
>>      We are pleased to announce that Version 2.0.0  has been
>>released.
>> This version is a tremendous step forward in functionality for the server.
>
>This is great news Alan! Any idea if a *BSD port is going to be
>released for it soon? I would love to see the Oracle module fixed so it
>can be selected/built from the configure menu (hint hint, eye twitch ->
>David Wood).

After a long delay (nearly two months), 2.0.0-pre2 got committed to the
FreeBSD ports tree yesterday under my maintainership - it's the
net/freeradius-devel port.

We needed to start somewhere with FreeRADIUS 2.x - and that was it.
Actually, I was about to call off that commit waiting for 2.0.0 to
release, especially as Alan DeKok had said that the 2.0.0-pre2 tarball
would be withdrawn - but it's too late now.

I am about to start working on an update of that port to 2.0.0 - and it
will likely be renamed net/freeradius2 at the same time, as it's no
longer a development version. My part of this isn't likely to take too
long (hopefully <12 hours to submit the FreeBSD PR barring unexpected
problems as I start to work on it this evening), but getting it
committed to the FreeBSD ports tree will take longer.

Oracle support won't be in the initial port; I want to update the port
with its existing database support to 2.0.0 first so that we can
encourage people to start migrating to 2.x.

I will try to look at Oracle later on - but any pointers you can give me
would be welcome, as the bsd.database.mk setup doesn't support Oracle,
so the overhead for supporting Oracle in a port is rather higher than
for databases supported by bsd.database.mk (from memory, that's MySQL,
PostgreSQL, SQLite, Firebird and Berkeley DB). I don't have an Oracle
setup to test with here; my only SQL server runs MySQL, though I'm
considering moving some databases to PostgreSQL.

You said that you'd hacked the net/freeradius port to build with Oracle
support. If you can send me a diff of what you did, that would be
helpful so that I can unpick your work and incorporate it into the port.
If you can change the arguments to configure rather than hacking the
configure script (or configure.in), even better!

As Alan DeKok has now fixed the problem with the bzip2 tarball for
2.0.0, I'm just about to update my Subversion development repository
with the committed version of net/freeradius-devel, then set about
updating it for 2.0.0 release.

Best wishes,

David
--