Cisco 10008 issue

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Fri Jan 11 20:57:06 CET 2008

Hello list,

We have a Cisco 10008 that we are trying to set up for broadband aggregation.  The 10008 utilizes a radius server to authenticate each internet
subscriber, either based on mac address or circuit id.  Cisco says that we cannot use freeradius (they recommend Cistron, which is now 4 years old)
because "freeradius is buggy and does not work well" (their words, not mine, no flaming please!!!).  I suspect that the particular CCIE has had some
bad experience with freeradius in his sysadmin past, but he is normally a very good engineer and hasn't steered us wrong in the past on other projects...

We use freeradius for other uses in our network and have never had problems with it.  In fact, we are using it (v. 0.9.3) with a Cisco 10008SSG to
authenticate PPPOE clients on an MMDS system, with no problems.  Has anyone ever run into this type of problem or roadblock before?

Any advice would be welcome, and let me know if I need to send more detail...

Thanks!

Alex