Problems with Prefix

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Fri Jan 11 22:27:45 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate our old livingston radius (from around '96)
user-file to a newly installed freeradius 1.1.7 server.

Our general setup is, that dialing in with user should rlogin the user to
a shell-server. If the username is prefixed by a P, a PPP-Session should
be started.

Reading the docs, this setup should be pretty straight-forward, using the
hints file. Unfortunately, it does not really work as expected.

The hints file contains the following lines, which seem to at least
somewhat work as the P is stripped and authentication succeeds.

DEFAULT Prefix == "P", Strip-User-Name = Yes
        Hint = "PPP",
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP

The users file has users configured with the following structure:

user            Password == "whatever"
                Service-Type = Login-User,
                Login-IP-Host = 192.168.1.1,
                Login-Service = Rlogin,
                Port-Limit = 2,
                Filter-Id = "dialin",
                Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.2.123

My understanding of the documentation
(http://freeradius.org/radiusd/man/users.html) is, that the Service-Type
should _not_ be set to Login-User when authenticating as Puser as it has
been previously set as configured in the hints file.

Unfortunately, this seems to be incorrect.
[root at phoenix raddb]# radtest Puser whatever localhost 0 testing123
Sending Access-Request of id 214 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
        User-Name = "Puser"
        User-Password = "whatever"
        NAS-IP-Address = 255.255.255.255
        NAS-Port = 0
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 127.0.0.1:1812, id=214, length=59
        Service-Type = Login-User
        Login-IP-Host = 192.168.1.1
        Login-Service = Rlogin
        Port-Limit = 2
        Filter-Id = "dialin"
        Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.2.123

Any suggestions how to correctly get the Service-Type set to Framed-User
when authenticating as Puser?

thx,
 andreas