FreeBSD port for 2.0.0 (and a FreeRADIUS patch submission)

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Sat Jan 12 16:20:04 CET 2008

David Wood wrote:

> PATCH SUBMISSION - THREADING ISSUES
>
> [...]
>
> Firstly, for threading on FreeBSD you should just use -pthread (and not
> use -lpthread). There are different threading libraries available on
> FreeBSD; the OS does the correct thing if you just use -pthread.

-pthread vs -lpthread is a long discussion. If the "configure"
script says -lpthread is supported, I think we can use it in all
cases. (including FreeBSD)

I'm unsure there's a need to make one more special case in the
mainstream FreeRADIUS tree. Moreover I note that -pthread has been
removed from the "pthread" manpage.

> Secondly, it deals with the case where python is built with threads (as
> is now the default for python on FreeBSD). As I don't use rlm_python, I
> can't test whether it works after this patch, but rlm_python won't even
> build on FreeBSD without it.

I believe this is a problem with the python library. The linker should
report the dependencies of libpython2.4.so.

I've asked a friend who is running 7.0-CURRENT and it looks OK for him:

$ ldd /usr/local/lib/libpython2.4.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libpython2.4.so.1:
    libutil.so.6 => /lib/libutil.so.6 (0x800c24000)
    libm.so.4 => /lib/libm.so.4 (0x800d32000)
    libthr.so.2 => /lib/libthr.so.2 (0x800e4c000)
    libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x800632000)

I don't see why you would need to add -pthread to the linker command line.

--
Nicolas Baradakis