alan's book, or anything new on the horizon

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 15 17:03:52 CET 2008

Duane Cox wrote:
> I wonder if Alan ever released that book that he had talked about in 2006?
> Or did it become a collection of wiki pages?

  I'm up to 180 pages.  There's more content than the O'Reilly book, by
a long shot.

  However, I moved countries in 2007, and various factors meant I
couldn't spend much time on the book.  I've recently been doing 10 pages
a week, so I hope to finish it eventually.

  Now that 2.0 is out, I'm hoping to feel less guilty about that, and
more guilty about the book.

> Is anyone working on a second revision to Hassell's O'Reilly RADIUS?

  O'Reilly won't be issuing one.  The books sales were high for the
first few weeks, and dropped off quickly after that.  Everyone figured
out that it's pretty much content-free.  i.e. one well known O'Reilly
author described it to me as "The worse book that O'Reilly has published".

  I've talked with them, too.  They're not interested in a second
edition, and they're not interested in a FreeRADIUS book.  Any other
publisher I've talked to projects small amounts of money in sales, so
they're not interested either.

  So... I'm going to self-publish.  I think there's enough money to make
it worth my time.