SQL query length

Spam Eater spammeatwill at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:08:35 CET 2008

Hello Alan,

Thank you so much for your quick response!

Please check my comments inline below:

> > Problem: When I have the attribute Session-Timeout in the radcheck
> > table, I get a Segmentation Fault after the query as run, no matter if
> > it returns results or not.
>  doc/bugs

> > a) I've noticed that freeradius performs Accounting-Request when this
> > attribute is set, is this normal?
>
>  I have no idea what you mean by that.  FreeRADIUS doesn't magically
> create Accounting-Requests if it sees a Session-Timeout.

I think I've might misinterpreted a log. I've just tried to duplicate this
behaviour without success, now I see only Access-Request packets. If this
happens again, I'll try to be more informative.

> > b) Is there a limit to the sql query length?
>
>  In 1.1.x, yes.  About 253 octets in many cases.  If the queries are in
> the configuration (e.g. rlm_sql_ippool), then the queries can be very
> long.

Ok, this is certainly a problem for me. I can't change freeradius version
(at least not now, maybe in the future) so I assume the only option is to
'exec' external scripts to perform more complex queries, am I right?

>  In 2.0, the queries in "unlang" can be about 7k in length.
>

> > c) Is there a limit to the field name, i.e., should I use "SELECT
> > This_is_a_very_long_field_name_having_ifs_nulls_etc AS ShortFieldName"
> > or is it irrelevant?
>
>  There is no limit to field names imposed by FreeRADIUS.
>
> > d) The particular query performs a join to another table, may this be
> > the source of the problem?
>
>  Maybe, if you're using MySQL and an old version of the server.  See
> doc/ChangeLog in 1.1.7.
>
> > e) Is it mandatory that a query returns results?
>
>  Yes.
>
> > f) Can I use multiple 'query' in radius.conf, using the values from a
> > first query to feed the next one?
>
>  Yes, so long as the output from a query goes into a RADIUS attribute.

Can you please elaborate, Alan, maybe with a small example or pointer to
documentation?

Thank you for your time! :-)