regarding RFC 2253 UTF-8 String Representation of Distinguished Names support

Gopinath Reddy N gnreddy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:47:59 CET 2008

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information.

Iam trying to send ldap search request to Active Directory using free radius
2.0

Iam using user login filter: (sAMAccountName=%{User-Name})

When I analyzed using ethereal I have observed the below information.

António is sent as
0x41, 0x6e,0x74, 0xf3, 0x6e, 0x69, 0x6F which is a simple ASCII to hex
conversion.

Got confirmed this information using http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/

However looks like Active Directory is expecting this information in UTF -8
format.

If I give user name as António(corresponds to 0x41, 0x6e, 0x74, 0xc3, 0xb3,
0x6e, 0x69, 0x6f) (used
http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/utfconverter/ to convert ascii
string to utf-8 string)

which is the equivalent of António in UTF-8 format Active directory is
recognizing the user.

So wanted to check whether free radius 2.0 version is doing the encoding in
UTF-8 format.Or some configuration attribute Iam missing.

Once again Thanks for the help.

Regards
gnr