Building FreeRadius 2.0 on Mac OS X fails

Walter Krivanek, VividVisions walter.krivanek at vividvisions.com
Mon Jan 21 16:25:57 CET 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Walter Krivanek, VividVisions wrote:
>> First, I have troubles with the configure script. Even if I show the
>> script my exact location of the MySQL include files using
>> --with-mysql-include-dir and similar, I'm getting warnings that
>> mysql.h
>> has not been found and that the MySQL module will be disabled. BTW:
>> This
>> also happens on my Debian server, where MySQL is installed in the
>> standard directories.
>
>  Can you post the errors?  That might help...

=== configuring in ./drivers/rlm_sql_mysql (/usr/local/install/
freeradius-server-2.0.0/src/modules/rlm_sql/./drivers/rlm_sql_mysql)
configure: running /bin/sh ./configure '--prefix=/usr/local/
freeradius2'  '--with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql' '--enable-ltdl-
install=no' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mysql_config... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient_r... yes
checking for mysql/mysql.h... no
configure: WARNING: MySQL headers not found. Use --with-mysql-include-
dir=<path>.
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_sql_mysql.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_sql_mysql requires: mysql.h.

And it doesn't matter if I use --with-mysql-dir or --with-mysql-
include-dir.
mysql.h exists in the mysql/include directory.

>> Then, when running make, I'm getting the following error:
>> ranlib: archive member: .libs/rlm_perl.a(DynaLoader.a) fat file for
>> cputype (18) cpusubtype (0) is not an object file (bad magic number)
>> ar: internal ranlib command failed
>
>  If you don't need rlm_perl, then delete that entire directory.

Ok, I'll try that. FYI: I'm running Perl v5.8.8.

Bye,
Walter