Building FreeRadius 2.0 on Mac OS X fails

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jan 21 17:10:20 CET 2008

Walter Krivanek, VividVisions wrote:
> configure: running /bin/sh ./configure
> '--prefix=/usr/local/freeradius2'  '--with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql'

  That should be "--with-mysql-include-dir=..."  What you have above is
completely unsupported.

> checking for mysql/mysql.h... no

  Hmm... the "configure" script tries to use mysql_config, which is the
preferred way to get the MySQL configuration parameters.  e.g. try:

$ PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin
$ ./configure

  If it can find "mysql_config", it SHOULD work.

> configure: WARNING: MySQL headers not found. Use
> --with-mysql-include-dir=<path>.
> configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_sql_mysql.
> configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_sql_mysql requires: mysql.h.
>
> And it doesn't matter if I use --with-mysql-dir or
> --with-mysql-include-dir.
> mysql.h exists in the mysql/include directory.

  Well, yes.  But it's sometimes <mysql/mysql.h>, and other times
<mysql.h>, depending on the MySQL version, OS, packager, time of day,
moon phase, etc.

  The current configure script expects <mysql/mysql.h> OR, it prefers to
use mysql_config.