FreeRadius V2.0.0 Simultaneous-Use Problems

tnt at kalik.co.yu tnt at kalik.co.yu
Tue Jan 22 02:52:09 CET 2008

> I took a look at the SQL Queries used by freeradius to check the logins
>and decided to run them manually on my sql database:
>
>mysql> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM radacct  WHERE username = 'Kat' AND
>acctstoptime = 0;
>+----------+
>| COUNT(*) |
>+----------+
>|       16 |
>+----------+
>1 row in set (0.00 sec)

So, you have 16 open sessions for that user. Why? Do they have some
sentimental value to you? If not, just delete them. They most likely
occured when your radius server was down while users logged off.

>The problem is, if you try to log this person in the server saying that
>they are already logged in, because the simul_count_query is picking up
>*ALL* rows which have accountstoptime = 0. This is an problem because
>all the accounting records are kept in the same place as the start and
>stop records, which means that there will always be records with an
>acctstoptime=0 in that table. Am I doing anything wrong here? Any tips
>on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

It looks to me that you are switching off your radius server and not
clearing up the mess in accounting records that happens because of that.
If you are not doing that but Stop packets are being lost because of
poor and unreliable communication between radius server and your NAS,
you need to fix that.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP