one RADIUS server per realm setup

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Wed Jan 23 16:33:17 CET 2008

Hello all,
    We are trying to set up a cross-auth proxy setup between our five
RADIUS servers in different realms at five different institutions, so
that any active student, staff, or faculty from any of our institutions
can go to any of the other institutions and log onto the network. This
means that if a user from institution B comes to my institution, I want
my RADIUS server to ask the RADIUS server over at institution B instead
of using the local setup.
    I've gotten much of it working, both authorizing and authenticating
against our LDAP database here, but something about the authorization
step is unclear to me. At the moment, I have it set up so that if I get
a login request, it checks to see if the user is a member of the correct
group(s) (authorization), and THEN authenticates the user, checking the
realm to see where it should send the request for authentication. This
all works very well, except that the authorization step only works if
the user is one of MY users. If the user is one of the other
four-college users, then the authorization step fails (since the user
doesn't exists in my LDAP database) and the user is rejected. So I think
I need to do one of three things:

    1. Proxy authorization as well - it's not clear how to do this. Can
you? I'd really just like to forward the entire request elsewhere,
before anything else happens, so I'd like to check the realm FIRST, and
not do anything if it's not a local realm.
    2. Skip authorization entirely unless the user is a member of a
specific realm. Again, it's not clear to me how to do this. Any ideas?

    3. something else I haven't thought of yet.

    This must be something other people do too, yes? We'd like to be
able to do the authorization step, because I don't want, for instance,
alumns or guest users, (who are in the LDAP database) to be able to log in.

    I'm currently using freeradius 1.0.2, but I can upgrade if I need to.

    Thanks for any help, and if more info is needed, just ask!

--
Wm. Josiah Erikson
Computing Support