FR2: combining round-robin and fail-over home server pools

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 16:53:41 CET 2008

Hello,

I am in the process of configuring FreeRADIUS 2.0.1. For some realms we
proxy the authentication request to three other servers (svr-1, svr-2,
svr-3). However, what we wanted was to, in effect, round-robin two of
the servers (svr1 and svr-2), and then only use the third server (svr-3)
if the other two were not available.

I have configured the proxy.conf 'home_server_pool's as:

   home_server_pool local_IAS {
           type = client-port-balance
           home_server = svr-1
           home_server = svr-2
   }

   home_server_pool local_proxies {
           type = fail-over
           home_server = local_IAS
           home_server = svr-3
   }

Note that 'local_IAS' is actually a home_server_pool name, and not an
actual home server. I was then going to configure FR to use
'local_proxies' for the relevant realms. However, starting FR gives an
error:

   /usr/local/etc/raddb/proxy.conf[87]: Unknown home_server "local_IAS".

Anyone any ideas how to mix round-robin servers with fail-over?

Thanks,

John.