checkrad not called after upgrade to 2.x

oz oz at bluemonk.de
Wed Jul 2 17:37:07 CEST 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> oz wrote:
>> M. S. wrote:
>>> Can I put this in bugzilla?  Seems like simultaneous use is completely
>> broken in 2.x which is a fairly significant feature.
>
>   I would agree.  I'm not sure why it's broken...
>
>> To me checkrad seems to be broken too. I'm using 2.0.5 without virtual
>> servers.
>> checkrad: Unknown NAS 212.x.x.x, not checking
>
>   Arg.
>
>   I don't know why that doesn't work.
>
>> It is possible, that in 2.0.3 checkrad was ok, because I noticed no
>> problems with Simultaneous-Use there ... but maybe accidentally.
>
>   If it works in 2.0.3 that would be good to know.  It would help track
> down where the problem is.
>
>> Is it really a bug in freeradius-2.0.5?
>
>   Yes.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

Hello,

I guess, I tracked it down. I started radiusd -X of version 2.0.3 in my
2.0.5 environment, and compared the console messages between the two versions.

I noticed, that 2.0.5 didn't read in all my NAS clients. It stopped, where
one client definition had no secret set, with this message:
[...]
  client as5200 {
         ipaddr = 192.168.101.2
         require_message_authenticator = no
         shortname = "as5200"
  }
/usr/local/etc/raddb/clients.conf[310]: secret must be at least 1 character long

Version 2.0.5 then rejects all users from *all the other* clients, when
checkrad is invoked and when radiusd wasn't able to read in the clients.conf
before completely:

auth: user supplied User-Password matches local User-Password
+- entering group session
         expand: /usr/local/var/log/radius/radutmp ->
/usr/local/var/log/radius/radutmp
         expand: %{User-Name} -> smith
checkrad: Unknown NAS 212.x.x.x, not checking
++[radutmp] returns ok
Multiple logins (max 1) [MPP attempt]: [smith] (from client testerx port
1610612780 cli #erx705#E60#44)
   Found Post-Auth-Type Reject
   WARNING: Unknown value specified for Post-Auth-Type.  Cannot perform
requested action.
Sending Access-Reject of id 9 to 212.x.x.x port 50000
         Reply-Message := "\r\nYou are already logged in - access denied\r\n\n"
Finished request 2.
Going to the next request

When the clients.conf contains only valid clients, checkrad is invoked as it
should:

auth: user supplied User-Password matches local User-Password
+- entering group session
         expand: /usr/local/var/log/radius/radutmp ->
/usr/local/var/log/radius/radutmp
         expand: %{User-Name} -> smith
checkrad: unknown NAS type erx
rlm_radutmp: Failed to check the terminal server for user 'smith'.
++[radutmp] returns fail
Login OK: [smith] (from client testerx port 1610612780 cli #erx705#E60#44)

(... *this* checkrad message is ok, because the original checkrad-script
isn't aware of my custom NAS type erx).

So it is not a severe bug of checkrad in 2.0.5, it just behaves strange,
when some clients in clients.conf are no correctly defined.

Kind regards,
oz