licensing question

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 11 06:33:20 CEST 2008

Steven Van Ingelgem wrote:
> How does the GPL apply to the freeradius plugins? I want to create a
> freeradius plugin (completely my code), but does the GPL apply to it?
> I ask because dynamic linking is a very gray area in the GPL field.

  I don't see why.

(2)
    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works.

  Is your plugin a "reasonably independent and separate work"?

  The "libfreeradius-radius" library is LGPL'd.  Any program depending
on that needs to follow that license.  FreeRADIUS (the core and modules)
are GPL'd, though.  Any code that depends on the GPL'd portion of the
server must follow that license.

  If your module calls GPL'd functions in FreeRADIUS, then it would be
clear that it should follow the terms of the GPL.