general howto bandwidth control

mike spam at kleiderschrank51.de
Fri Jul 11 13:18:26 CEST 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> we have a little network with some cable modems. all modems use
>> freeradius for authenticating and all useres use a pppoe session against
>> freeradius to connect with the router. this works. now we want a
>> bandwidth limitation for each modem.
>> is this possible with freeradius? or how can we realize this in this
>> enviroment (iptable rules are rejected from me...) ?
>>

>   See the NAS documentation for how to do bandwidth control via RADIUS.
>  If there is no documentation, then it's likely impossible.
>

>> i searched for some documentation about this but nothing found.
>> my guess is there is a options that can be inserted here, but where and
>> how...
>>

>   It's all up to the NAS, because the NAS enforces the bandwidth control.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

hm, i believe i have a problem with the terminology.  the NAS is here
the modem not the pppd, right?

ok, other question.
in the logfile radacct/192.168.4.1/detail-date is alway a double entry
for each started ppp-session.
only the Acct-Unique-Session-Id has changed. i believe pppd or the
radiusclient starts two different sessions but alway the secend session
is really up.
any ideas therefor?