How to configure FreeRadius so that clients don't have to be changed?

Paul Bartell paul-bartell at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 16 11:47:33 CEST 2008

I take it that you mean, is it possible to make it transparent to the
user, in which, the answer is yes. Depending on your access points,
you may be able to do MAC address authentication, which anyone will
tell you is insanely insecure, but it prevents people from driving up
and accessing your network (unless they are technically inclined to
use a packet capturing program and spoof a mac address). So insecure,
yes. But practical so long as you dont have a bunch of crackers living
around wherever you are setting up authentication. Mac OSX as well as
many Linux distros have 802.1x authentication/WPA enterprise built in,
so it is not much of a problem. Im not sure about the current state of
windows in this department (havent used it in a while... could someone
chime in)