Keeping a set amount of detail logs

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 18 04:24:12 CEST 2008

Matt Alexander wrote:
> Right, I'm familiar with logrotate.  The problem is that FreeRadius is
> rotating the logs already

  No, you said that the server is "creating new logs every day".  That
means the detail filename has a date in it. (%Y, %m, etc.)

  If you don't want it to create a new file every day, then configure
the filename to have a name that doesn't include the date.

> and I don't know of a way to get logrotate to
> just keep track of a set number of logfiles that it doesn't rotate
> itself.  ie., "keep 10 logfiles only"

$ ls -c | tail -n +11

  Will sort files in the directory by creation time, and then chop off
the first 10.  What's left is the oldest ones, that you can deleted.