debug log [was Re: freeradius ippool issue]

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 18 12:16:08 CEST 2008

Josip Rodin wrote:
> It looks to me that it would be a good idea to have a default
> /var/log/freeradius/debug.log where the daemon would write the output
> normally found with -X. Plus with timestamps.

  That is very, very, expensive, and will slow the server down a lot.
But yes, the idea is good.

> That way, all new users already have a ready instance of debugging
> information, and you can rely on that. And after they go past the initial
> troubles, they can turn it off with an option.

  The latest CVS (or git) has code that can configurably enable, or
disable, debug logging on the fly.  The debug logs can be directed to
different locations.

  i.e. you can turn on debug logs ONLY for packets being sent to one
home server, and put those logs into a special file.

  That *still* won't solve the problem of people not following
instructions, though.