debug log [was Re: freeradius ippool issue]

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 18 13:46:30 CEST 2008

Josip Rodin wrote:
> Yeah. At least you can try to streamline the debugging process, so that
> the instructions become very easy :) It's more straightforward to tell people
> "send us your log file which is right over there" than to tell them "stop
> the server, start it manually with -X, copy&paste some particular gobs of
> text, save it into a text file, send that".

  The point of debug log is to enable testing of your configuration
*before* you us it in production.  Anyone that deploys policies without
understanding them r testing them has major problems.

  The overwhelming majority of problems related to debugging are people
who are new to the server, and who can't be bothered to follow the
instructions.  The people who do follow the instructions usually get
their problems resolved in short order.

> BTW, while we're on the topic - Navis RADIUS has the option of having log
> files be automatically switched based on timestamps. In other words, if you
> set a log file to be 'TimeFile', and set attributes 'FormatTimestamp=TRUE',
> 'Prefix=/var/log/foo/bar-', 'Mode=DAILY', and then it creates the log files
> named /var/log/foo/bar-20080718, and automatically moves on as necessary.
>
> That sounds like a reasonably useful facility for debugging logs - makes
> the rotation and lookups a bit smarter than the usual fodder created by
> logrotate. And it's also similar to how radacct/detail files are written.

  This is supported.  Just add a date string to the name of the debug
log file, just like is done with the "detail" files.