OT: EAP-TTLS - Problem with securew2 and Vista

Sergio Belkin sebelk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 01:10:18 CEST 2008

Some time ago, I've found the atypical fashion of managing
permissions. In my job, I was trying to make SecureW2 - a software
that provides TTLS to Windows systems - works on Windows Vista. During
about a month I was breaking my head against the wall, trying to
figure out why on most laptops SecureW2 was failing.

It's ok, I must admit that I don't like Windows. At home I use Linux,
at work most of the time I use Linux too. You can say that I am a
stupid when I tell you why SecureW2 was not working on Vista. SecureW2
was not working because most of users run software as a non-privileged
user. So the solution was to click with right button of mouse and then
clic in Run as administrator…

What a weird way of security approach, but the worst to me is the
strange way of communicate to users. If an action needs more
privileges, I thing the right thing is tell the problem to the user
and not depend of telepathy. Because of this, I like so much Linux.
Linux it's not a perfect OS, but it tell you when you must run either
root or take more privileges.

Open Kairos http://www.openkairos.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -