Hints file and Strip-User-Name

Paul Khavkine paul.khavkine at distributel.ca
Tue Jun 3 20:16:04 CEST 2008

files is there in authentication { } section.

authenticate {
        #
        #  PAP authentication, when a back-end database listed
        #  in the 'authorize' section supplies a password.  The
        #  password can be clear-text, or encrypted.
        Auth-Type PAP {
                pap
        }

        #
        #  Most people want CHAP authentication
        #  A back-end database listed in the 'authorize' section
        #  MUST supply a CLEAR TEXT password.  Encrypted passwords
        #  won't work.
        Auth-Type CHAP {
                chap
        }

        #
        #  MSCHAP authentication.
        Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
                mschap
        }

        #
        #  If you have a Cisco SIP server authenticating against
        #  FreeRADIUS, uncomment the following line, and the 'digest'
        #  line in the 'authorize' section.
#       digest

        #
        #  Pluggable Authentication Modules.
#       pam

        #
        #  See 'man getpwent' for information on how the 'unix'
        #  module checks the users password.  Note that packets
        #  containing CHAP-Password attributes CANNOT be authenticated
        #  against /etc/passwd!  See the FAQ for details.
        #
#       unix

        # Uncomment it if you want to use ldap for authentication
        #
        # Note that this means "check plain-text password against
        # the ldap database", which means that EAP won't work,
        # as it does not supply a plain-text password.
#       Auth-Type LDAP {
#               ldap
#       }

        #