Whether the FreeRADIUS supports switch 3Com 5500G-EI ?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 9 16:43:59 CEST 2008

Gennadiy Redko wrote:

>> It is clear. Whether it is possible to check up somehow a management
>> on adjustment for presence of mistakes? Technical support 3Com wishes to
> I shall ask in another way:
> Whether there are working FreeRADIUS config files   for 3Com 5500G-EI?

  No.  No such configuration exists, because there should be nothing
special about that switch.

  That is, FreeRADIUS doesn't include sample configurations for every
possible configuration of every possible software version of every
possible switch.

> Let for other type of authorization. If only it was not local type of
> authorization.

  I have no idea what that means.

  This is just RADIUS.  There's nothing magic.  If you send something to
a Cisco switch, and it does what you want, then the Cisco switch works.
 if you send something to the 3com switch, and it doesn't do what you
want, it's broken.  Especially if the 3com documentation tells you what
to send... and you're sending what the documentation says.

  It's time to stop arguing.  Stop trying to figure out ways around it.
 It's not a FreeRADIUS problem.  It's a 3com problem.

  The ONLY way you can show it's a FreeRADIUS problem is by showing that
the packets produced by FreeRADIUS violate the RADIUS specifications.
That doesn't happen...

  I note in all of this that you've been very careful to NOT describe
what the 3com documentation says is necessary... and you've been careful
to NOT describe what you've configured FreeRADIUS to send.  if the two
are different... there's not much I can say.

  If the two are identical, then the switch or documentation is broken.

  Can I please convince you to stop arguing, and believe that the switch
or documentation is broken?  Go fight with the 3com support people.
They're the ones who have sold you a broken product, and are refusing to
support it.