Freeradius error: "Discarding conflicting packet"

jelle-e jml at orkz.net
Tue Jun 10 22:56:50 CEST 2008

Hi,
I've enabled extensive logging and radiusd runs as daemon process (#
/usr/local/sbin/radiusd).
I have a medium sized network with about 25 Access Points (AP's) now
(Linksys WAP54G). It runs with following encryption options:
WPA-Enterprise, AES, PEAP, mschapv2, without using certificates.

Everything seems to run smoothly but before every login attempt the logs say
(something like):

"Error: Discarding conflicting packet from client NAS-NAME port 3072 - ID: 3
due to recent request 28."

After that the user logs in correctly.

I have no idea where to start searching for the answer. Since this error
appears to occur on every AP, I don't think they're all 'broken'.

Does anybody have an idea? Thanks in advance!

In the freeradius source I found the following regarding the error:
                   gettimeofday(&when, NULL);
                        when.tv_sec -= 1;

                        /*
                         *      If the cached request was received
                         *      within the last second, then we
                         *      discard the NEW request instead of the
                         *      old one.  This will happen ONLY when
                         *      the client is severely broken, and is
                         *      sending conflicting packets very
                         *      quickly.
                         */
                        if (timercmp(&when, &request->received, <)) {
                                radlog(L_ERR, "Discarding conflicting packet
from "
                                       "client %s port %d - ID: %d due to
recent request %d.",
                                       client->shortname,