FreeRadius/eDirectory/802.1X authentication issue

Newall, Bryce bnewall at powayusd.com
Wed Jun 11 04:32:45 CEST 2008

freeradius-users-bounces+bnewall=powayusd.com at lists.freeradius.org
Kalik
> Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:35 PM
> To: FreeRadius users mailing list
> Subject: Re: FreeRadius/eDirectory/802.1X authentication issue
>

> >  rlm_mschap: Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for UserB with NT-Password
> >
> >  rlm_mschap: FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect
> >

> (Cached) password for that user on that laptop is wrong.

No, it's not.  The laptop is not storing the password; it's using the
login credentials each time.  The "Use Windows login credentials" (or
whatever it's called; can't remember off the top of my head) option is
checked.  In fact, if I un-check it and have Windows prompt me for the
credentials, then the authentication works properly!  (With or without
the domain name.)  And it's the same username/password that I use to log
on to the laptop.  It's very strange that it works fine when I have
Windows prompt for the credentials, but won't when I have it use the
login credentials.

Bryce Newall
Systems Administrator
Poway Unified School District