FreeRadius/eDirectory/802.1X authentication issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jun 11 19:29:42 CEST 2008

Newall, Bryce wrote:
> I am looking into setting up a test RADIUS server with FreeRADIUS 2.0.5,
> since the current server is running 1.1.0.  As I mentioned before,
> though, I don't know a lot about RADIUS, and would love to find some
> HOW-TO's to help me make it work.

  As would I.  This isn't a RADIUS thing.  It's a Windows thing.

  FreeRADIUS is at the mercy of the Windows system, which is doing weird
things.  And that's not just me blaming everything on other people's
software.  There's really no other conclusion possible from your
description.

>  We need to have FreeRADIUS speak LDAP
> with Novell eDirectory, and be able to authenticate wireless clients
> using EAP-TLS (or even EAP-TTLS, but we're using TLS right now).

  Er... EAP-TLS means that it won't normally do user lookups in LDAP.

  And you should ugprade to 2.0.5.  It makes 1.1.0 look as bad as IAS.