FreeRadius/eDirectory/802.1X authentication issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jun 11 22:13:50 CEST 2008

Newall, Bryce wrote:
> See why I say I don't know a whole lot about how all this works?? :)  So
> it sounds like I don't even need LDAP, but it's helpful for at least
> testing the RADIUS configuration with a program like NTRadPing to make
> sure it's working correctly before jumping into the EAP-TLS setup.

  Yes.

>>   And you should ugprade to 2.0.5.  It makes 1.1.0 look as bad as IAS.
>
> SLES 10 SP2 still ships with FreeRADIUS 1.1.0.  Go figure.  Any
> suggestions as to where to find some good HOWTO docs?  I went through
> the FreeRADIUS Wiki, but it wasn't very complete.

  The configuration files that the server comes with are pretty complete.

  To be honest, it's pretty much impossible to write any good HOWTO's
for RADIUS.  With tiny edits (as documented and explained in the
configs), the default configuration works with PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP,
Digest, EAP-MD5, EAP-MSCHAPv2, PEAP, EAP-TTLS....

  Follow the explanations in the config files, and add support for LDAP,
SQL, ...

  Any HOWTO will be not much more than "read the config files, and
follow their instructions".