Goodbye SNMP, hello statistics.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 20 18:30:22 CEST 2008

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> this is very cool - i guess it would be handy to let remote
> authorised machiens query it

  Yes.  But... it is a potential security issue to expose those
statistics to anyone who asks.

  I could see external sites querying these statistics if:

- the connection is encrypted
- the client is querying a socket dedicated to Status-Server messages.

> (trivial to have one central stats
> store then) but still..... I hope to see a lot of useful tools/widgets
> using this. bit of RRDTool is calling.....

  Yes.  There are a LOT of statistics available now.  Almost every
counter that you could track inside the server is exposed via this method.