about freeradius support

Sergio Yébenes Moreno sergioyebenes at alumnos.upm.es
Sun Jun 29 19:46:52 CEST 2008

David Wood escribió:
> Hi Sergio,
>
> In message <48676BB9.1040409 at alumnos.upm.es>, Sergio Yébenes Moreno
> <sergioyebenes at alumnos.upm.es> writes
>> I'm configuring freeradius server with opensc client-side. I'd like
>> to say if freeradius has support for PKCS#11.
>> In wpa_supplicant log I see how client writes TLS-ChangeCipherSpec and
>> TLS-Finished. This means that the server has authenticated but
>> freeradius show TLS error because client do not send
>> certificate. I think it's because PKCS#11. I'm not sure, but I really
>> need to know. I'm using
>> freeradius-server-2.0.4
>
> The server doesn't care where the certificates and private key are
> stored on the client side; the use of PKCS#11 and a smartcard or token
> is irrelevant and the server needs no special support for PKCS#11.
>
> The only way the use of the smartcard or token could change things is
> if your supplicant needs the entire certificate chain on the smartcard
> or token, and you've only loaded the certificate itself.
>

> The only reason the server would need PKCS#11 support is if the
> server's certificate were on a smartcard or token. It's an intriguing
> idea, but I have my doubts that a smartcard or token would keep up
> with the demands placed on it.
>

> As Nicolas said, the debug log on the server side almost certainly
> contains the answer to this - that's where you should be looking.
>
> Run radiusd -X and attempt to authenticate using wpa_supplicant and
> your token or smartcard. What does the server's debug output say? If
> you can see the server rejecting the authentication attempt, look back
> for the reason. If the server accepts the authentication attempt, the
> problem is elsewhere.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> David
Hi David

"The server doesn't care where the certificates and private key are
stored on the client side; the use of PKCS#11 and a smartcard or token
is irrelevant and the server needs no special support for PKCS#11."
That rules. It's true. I've seen in wpa_supplicant log that can't access
to the private key (fuckin' key_id), but even so, client makes
client_certificate, client_key_exchange, ....and tcpdump shows
RADIUS-Access-Request....I'll ask for this at opensc-project but looks
like you know about you're speaking. Do you know if freeradius can make
ocsp request?
In
/freeradius-server-2.0.5/src/modules/rlm_eap/types/rlm_eap_tls/rlm_eap_tls.c
they mention ocsp protocol but in eap.conf there are nothing about this!!

Thanks