Can freeRadius do that?

Alexandre Chapellon alexandre.chapellon at mana.pf
Tue Mar 11 19:09:06 CET 2008

Guillaume Chartrand a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I just want to know if freeradius server can do what I want to deploy
> in my environnement. I want to deploy freeradius to taking care of
> security and authorization for my wireless network. What I want to do
> is like many hotel in my country. The user open is laptop with
> wireless capability, is automaticly connected to the wireless network
> but if he want to use the internet connection, when he first run is
> browser, he's automaticly redirect to an authentification page that
> ask him a username and a password. So is it freeradius who's handle
> this or another software or combination of software. Like a freeradius
> server and a proxy or freeradius with third party software.
>

> Can someone help me with my interrogation.
>
> Thanks a lot

For me what you describe is an open wireless network with a transparent
proxy that aythenticate users on its default redirection page. This
authentication could and should be made with freeradius in order to have
fine grained accouting.

Solution could be something like squid + radius_authenticator + freeradius.
I think you can use apache-mod-proxy and PAM, so that you can avoid the
use of squid but I'm not sure about it.