Include Vendor Dictionary ?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Mar 12 16:52:06 CET 2008

David Toms wrote:
> I have not modified the freeradius configs much.
> I added "VENDOR ChilliSpot 14559" to the dictionary file, which I hoped
> would make freeradius read the "dictionary.chillispot" dictionary.

  No, it won't.

>  The
> file says "see man dictionary for the format of the dictionary files",
> but this man page is not installed.

  Where did you get the installation from?  The dictionary files should
be installed in a normal location (rpm, .deb, etc), OR in
/usr/local/share/man.  This last path is printed out if you're doing a
manual install.

  Also, if you managed to read the comments in the raddb/dictionary
file, it INCLUDES the other dictionary files.  This gives you the path
where they're installed, and the syntax that the server expects for
including other dictionary files.]

> I am assuming that the attribute name is invalid, because the vendor
> specific attributes are not known to radius. I added it to the default
> realm in the "attrs" configuration file, but no good.

  Adding dictionary entries to another configuration file isn't helpful.

> So, what is wrong?  How do I allow vendor specific attributes to be
> sent in a radius reply?

  You reference the dictionary file, just like the examples in the
dictionary file you read in /etc/raddb.